Friday, September 3, 2010

That complete south Indian...

What triggered this post is the below song Jagadoddharana by Bombay Jaysahri in Carnatic-fusion form.



Yesterday being Janmashtamai, I took to hearing some krithis on Krsna. A friend on facebook had posted this Jagadodharan by B'bay Jayashri, as I heard her "Madhukara Manikyana.." in the anupallavi - the thought struck me. It is actually "Magugala Manikyana" meaning "gem among children" [Manikyam = Gem, Magu = child in Kannada]. What I do not understand is, when they render such a wonderful composition of Sri Purandara Dasa, wouldn't they take that extra care to not to alter the meaning/essence of the song. On the other hand Madhukara is honey bee in Sanskrit. It is still an excellent rendition by her, if only the pronunciation, meaning were taken care of. I'm still biased - when it comes to devotional songs, it is MS Subbulakshmi or M L Vasantha Kumari or Bala Murali Krishna who bring in the correct pronunciation, there by the meaning, their understanding of the composition helps them in bringing out the correct emotion.

As I had these running through my mind - there was an other parallel track of thoughts - if I should say,

1. I'm Lucky
2. I'm blessed
3. Or just thank my parents
for having given me the opportunity to learn to read/write/speak all the Carnatic languages - Sanskrit, Telugu and Kannada apart from Tamil and Malayalam that flows in the blood and six years of music from the land of  Annamayya and Purandara Dasa. Not only am I able to appreciate the music and the meaning of the compositions by our saints but today am in a position to even point out such linguistic mistakes (!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment